Vadim vibrations: Interview with DJ Vadim




Vadim Peare has recorded under the aliases Andre Gurov, Little Aida but primarily as DJ Vadim, the self-made master in turntablism, a sound innovator who fuses soul, funk, grime, jazz, reggae, hip hop and electronics to enlighten us with that very recognizable Vadim vibration. 

The purchase of a sampler kicked off your production quest in 1992. Abstract Hallucinating Gases and Headz Ain't Ready (1995), your own Jazz Fudge label and a Ninja Tune sign-up soon followed. Which impact did this have on your life?

Well it has been huge.  I never would have imagined that
1 - this would be my job, i would make a living with it
2 - I would still be doing it 20 years later.
So in that sense the impact has been huge.

You have produced music for DJ Krush, Stevie Wonder, Kraftwerk, Erykah Badu, Alice Russell, Paul Weller, Prince, CL Smooth, Amp Fiddler, Public Enemy, The Roots, Fat Freddy’s Drop, Dialated Peoples, The Roots, The Herbaliser, Killa Kela,  The Cure, Foreign Beggars, and many more. It seems like you never cease to collaborate with MCs, poets and singers?

For me music is music. I do not separate music into boxes like hip hop,  soul etc... it's s great to collaborate with a large variety of people. Their background doesn't matter. All that matters is the passion and vision for music. A quest for something new and exciting.

You have been described as the John Coltrane of hip hop. Was jazz one of your early musical influences?

Hip hop was my first love, jazz came later. For me jazz is about the 40's -late 60's. What's crazy about jazz is how so many people from the establishment were disturbed by it,  calling it 'jungle music' and all kinds of derogatory names.. and yet for many people nowadays, jazz is what you hear at Starbucks or in a hotel elevator.... Perhaps within 50 years Rick Ross will be to what jazz is now...!

When touring with old school group The Russian Percussion One Self, the renowned hip hop trio with outstanding female MC Yarah Bravo and MC Blu Rum 13, was formed. Could you explain the message of One Self's debut album Children of Possibility (2005)?

The Russian Percussion was just a live band I put together for when I was touring. It was really just a concept. After being on tour with the Herbaliser in the 90's I noticed how much more responsive people are to a live band so I thought, hey I should do the same. I got Mr Thing(world DMC champ 99), Killer Kela(incredible beat box), John Ellis(keyboards - cinematic orchestra), and at first Blu Rum 13(who was kid koalas mc) and then Yarah Bravo. This was as you can see the cradle from which One Self was born. I came up with the title Children of Possibility and for a while that's what we were being called - C.O.P. They were stories from us being on tour for 3 years: the experiences and feelings of what we were going through at that time... 

Which elements of working with a live band attract you? 

It's not so much about a band but about working with anyone who is passionate about music. Since I am not classically trained in piano or drums etc, it's easier to work with people who can play!!!

Your soulful Don’t Be Scared album(2012, BBE) expresses types of fears. Why did you choose this theme?

The title came at the last minute, and the album was going to be called many other things before.... but in the end it felt like it worked best with where I am and it's music and also the times we are living in right now. I always felt the importance of social commentary in music. I always gravitate towards that so... that's the reason why artists like Bob Marley or Bob Dylan or Public Enemy always struck a chord with me because we do live in a very unfair world. One where most of us live with very corrupt governments who are preoccupied with filling their pockets and using their tools such as the police to maintain their equilibrium and laws to keep the rich getting richer...
The title is partly about these social affairs and all these supposed threats we are facing from Al Qaeda to Islam, from bird flu to communism to ... it's all part of a system.
Apart from that, the fear I'm talking about is a human fear of one self. One that we all have. Especially as adults. Everyday people will say - I don't want to do that or this or I don't like that or I don't want to go there. It's like we become conditioned as adults and go cozy. You would never hear an 8- year old kid saying those things. In a way I think we are restricting ourselves from developing because of that fear. Perhaps that's why the human brain stops developing around the age of 18 or 20. Because we limit ourselves. 

Which one of your own albums are you still most fond of?

I am a perfectionist so when I listen to past albums, I always find holes them. Oh I wish I had done this or that. But I guess that's the charm of music - its errors or the missing stuff. Personally I am more into the new stuff than the old stuff. I like the aesthetics but I think the very early creations lack a lot . 

Exploring the world seems to be one of your passions, as can be noticed by the incorporation of ethnic sound samples in your productions. Which aspects of traveling stimulate your creativity and self development?

Just going to unpredictable places and being smacked in the ears by exciting sounds and grooves. Things I had never heard of before. That' s important as a musician - constantly being excited and invigorated.

Creativity clearly has no limits. How are your photography projects evolving? 

Hahah - you detective. 
It' s something I  have gotten into the last few years and it's coming along great i should take way more but just always run out of time. Perhaps one day I will do an exhibition of some photos!

Any other dreams for the future you would like to share with us?

Dreams  like Martin Luther King?! Little colored kids playing with white kids... well all of those but personally I would love to open a restaurant. perhaps a cafe, a boutique /clothes shop...

Links:
loads of music on the links blow - exclusives, dj mixes  etc...: 
www.djvadim.com
www.twitter.com/djvadim
www.facebook.com/djvadim
www.mixcloud.com/djvadim
www.soundcloud.com/dj-vadim
www.electricsoundcompany.com
www.djvadim.com/dont-be-scared-tour

No comments:

Post a Comment